What is the TANG Parents Program?
The TANG Parents Program was formally created in 2013 to serve the needs of our former TACEC 2G as they brought their children to experience TANG! TANG Parents is a distinct program from the 1G Taiwanese/Mandarin program with their own programming, speakers and workshops.
What is the purpose of the TANG Parents Program?
Beyond fostering an environment where our older 2nd generation can come together and reconnect, the mission of the TANG Parents is to support TANG and our kids, who are all TANG participants. The program has evolved over the past few years and each year it gets better and better. Through feedback, our major themes focus on community and parenting.
Who participants in the TANG Parents program?
- Anyone who is a 2nd Generation Taiwanese American Parent and their spouses who aren’t necessarily Taiwanese American!
- Former TACEC 2G Taiwanese Americans who are bringing their families after a 20+ year hiatus of participating in TACEC
- Anyone who is a parent with kids in the TANG program
- Anyone that is well into their careers
- Anyone who wants to know what it’s like to care for the aging 1st generation Taiwanese Americans
- Anyone who wants to understand what it’s like to grow up as a person of Taiwanese heritage in America
Highlights of Our Program
Past Workshops and Activities
Our workshops are all self led by the talented participants in our community! The variety of topics we have had in the past are below:
- Estate Planning 101
- Hands on Henna Tattoo
- Fitness/wellness workshop
- Fun outing to a local attraction (Ropes Course, Helicopter Museum, Longwood Gardens)
- Small group discussions: college process (applications, financial planning, other), and parenting tips/strategies
- Networking mixer with TANG Young Adults
- Making Taiwanese Pastries
TANG Wide Intergenerational Programming
We love participating in events with all 350+ participants of TANG. The energy is infectious and the intergenerational aspect has become a significant value to TANG. Below are some of the highlights of the weekend!
- TANG Opening Ceremony
- Welcome Reception
- TANG Olympics and Water Balloons
- Performing and Enjoying Taiwan Night
- Night Market
- TANG Closing Slideshow
“The weekend turned out to be so much more than I expected. We reconnected with old college friends, long past our days running our Taiwanese American Student Association and ITASA. We met new friends who like us were returning to TACEC for the first time in years. During the meals when all 3 generations were in the same cafeteria, we had opportunities to…”
“Over July 4th weekend, my family went to a Taiwanese American retreat/camp. Tony and I actually went to it MANY years when we were teens, with our parents. Back then, it wasn’t necessarily so much about learning about the Taiwanese heritage, but it was a time to bond with other…”
“For the first time in over twenty years, we decided to attend TAC. Why, you ask? Because we had been hearing a lot of great things about the TANG (3G) program. Godwin Chen and his predecessor Tom Yu have been working hard for the past 8+ years to keep TANG alive for the 3G of Taiwanese Americans…”